Look What’s Happening in Room 102!

Mrs. Lynch’s Classroom Blog

More Folktale Retells

February 11, 2014 by teacher102 · 11 Comments · Uncategorized

We had a fun day yesterday.  We filmed more retells and some students went to the 3 Kindergartens to retell their Folk Tales.  We also watched some of the Olympics.  We were so excited to witness Canada winning Gold and Silver in Freestyle Skiing – Moguls.  Congratulations to Alex Bilodeau and Michail Kingsbury.  It was difficult to calm down after that – it was 2:20 – and we had to get ready to go home.

Here is the story map and storyboard for the Enormous Turnip that we did as a whole class.

Here are a few more videos of Folktale Retells.  Thanks to the parents for helping the kids practice and helping to make their visual aids. Once again, the children are amazing.  The Kindergarten kids and their teachers were so impressed with us today.  Tomorrow other kids will go to Kindergarten to retell their story.

Enjoy.  Leave us a comment if you like what you see.

The Gingerbread Man from Mary Ellen Lynch on Vimeo.

Henny Penny from Mary Ellen Lynch on Vimeo.

Little Red Hen from Mary Ellen Lynch on Vimeo.

The Tortoise and the Hare from Mary Ellen Lynch on Vimeo.

Goldilocks and the Three Bears from Mary Ellen Lynch on Vimeo.

11 Comments so far ↓

• Noah's Mom

Great job everyone! You are all so fantastic!!!! What a lot of work you all have done! I am sure the kindergarten classes loved your folktales! Bravo!!!

• teacher102

Hello Noah’s Mom,
      Thank you so much for your nice comment! I agree with you. I think everyone has done an awesome job. It is even quite amazing how well the French kids were able to retell their stories so well!
      Mrs. Lynch

• KKay

I took my time to watch all of them and they were all super cute! I liked how Noah has done a poster for ‘The Gingerbread Man’ and how he did some gestures. And I’m sure everyone has practiced a lot for these presentations so Keep up the good work Mayla’s Class! And Good Luck with class Mary c:
    -Kayliya

• teacher102

Dear K,
      Thank you for this comment too! You are wonderful to take the time to view all the videos. The kids will appreciate your comment. Do you remember reading Folk Tales when you were in grade 2? We didn’t retell them but we did puppet shows instead. Thanks again K. Stop by and say hello any time.
      from,
      Mrs. Lynch

• KKay

Yes, I remember doing the puppet show of Henny Penny with Samuel :) Although we all did Henny Penny during that time o.o But I’m still surprised how they were all able to remember the whole story with no reminders. Me and Sam had to have a tiny reminder XD. But i really liked them :)
        -Kayliya

• teacher102

Hi KK
          Yes, you guys were so great with those puppet show. I loved them. You know they are still one the blog. You just have to go search for folktales.
          Thanks for your comments.
          love,
          Mrs. Lynch

• Mrs. Hembree

Dear Mrs. Lynch,
    Your students did such a great job in retelling these folktales. It gives me an idea to try something like this in our library.
    I was so happy to watch Alex B win again in freestyle moguls. He is a role model for what it’s like to be an awesome brother and athlete.
    What is your favorite event to watch students?
    From,
    Mrs. Hembree
    in Seattle – Home of the Seahawks – SuperBowl Champions!

• teacher102

Hello Mrs. Hembree,
      I was so happy to see your comment. I am sorry to say that I have been out of touch with the blogging group. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with everything. But I so appreciated hearing from you. Congratulations on your Superbowl victory! I will ask my students what their favourite olympic event is. It would be fun to do a survey of this – and a good math activity. Right now I am in Baie St. Paul with my husband (Northeast of Quebec City). We skied yesterday at Le Massif and had a wonderful day. Right now there is a blizzard outside so we won’t be doing any skiing today. They are expecting 50 cm. of snow!

• Noah's Mom

Hi Mrs. Lynch!
    The folk tale retells are so wonderful! I also loved the great posters the students prepared! What a creative and talented class!!! The Gingerbread Man and Billy Goats Gruff were my favourite folk tales when I was a little girl!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Noah’s Mom

• Miss Morris and Year 1

You guys are amazing at retelling stories. I am so impressed. In year 1 at the minute we are trying to find out children’s favourite stories from around the world. Will you share yours?

http://blog.st-johns-kearsley.bolton.sch.uk/year1/2014/05/15/my-favourite-book/

Thanks

• teacher102

Dear Miss Morris,
      Thanks so much for visiting our blog and leaving us a comment. The children did enjoy retelling their Folk Tales. I am retiring soon so have not been keeping up much with our blog. To answer your question though we have a lot of favourite stories in grade 2. We love all Mo Willems’ books. There is a Piggy and Elephant series that they enjoy especially.
      from,
      Mrs. Lynch