Look What’s Happening in Room 102!

Mrs. Lynch’s Classroom Blog

A Name Graph

October 16, 2010 by teacher102 · 8 Comments · Uncategorized

images

We read the story Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes last week.  The children loved it.  It was about a little mouse named Chrysanthemum.  She loved her name until she started school and the children all laughed at her because it was very long and the name of a flower.  Chrysanthemum started to think her name wasn’t so good, after all.  Then she met the Music teacher and things got better.  It is a good story to begin talking about bullying.  Well, we have been interviewing students in our class – one per day.  We’ve been looking at names and identifying the letters in our names.  So after reading this story we made a graph of how many letters each of us had in our name.  Zephanie  has the longest name.  Leo, Mya  and Lia have the shortest names.

name graph

Next, I think we will find out how many syllables we have in our names.

How many letters do you have in your name???

8 Comments so far ↓

• Bianca ♥

Dear Mrs Lynch and Students,
    What a wonderful post.
    There are a lot of names in the world some are short and some are long and some are really,really long :mrgreen:.
    MMM my name (Bianca) has six letters and it is an even number. As for dad he has four letters in his name (Paul) and he has an even number of letters too.

From yourblogging fan BB (Bianca)

• Bianca ♥

Dear Mrs Lynch and Students,
    What a wonderful post.
    MMM my name (Bianca) has six letters and it is an even number. As for my dad he has four letters in his name (Paul) and he has an even number of letters too.

From yourblogging fan BB (Bianca)

• aa

Dear Mrs Lynch and students,

I really liked this post and what a fun way of learning about letters and numbers in a name.

I have only four letters in my name Alma.
    Also I liked the slide graph and the different colours you used to highlight your names.
    Well done everyone keep up the great work,
    from your friend AA.

• teacher102

Dear Bianca and Alma,
    Thanks for your comments. I like the idea, Bianca, of sorting names into odd and even number of letters. We will try that, too. My name (Mary Ellen) has 9 letters and that is an odd number. Have a great day.
    Your friend,
    Mrs. Lynch

• staunza

One of the nicest things about living in the Northeastern US and Eastern Canada is having orchard fresh apples to munch on and crunch on and they fill our mouths with http://www.thetextileicon.com/ their juice. Yum! My favorite apples are red ones, especially Cortland apples.

• jhonnash

nice post and fun for learning letter and number in names.my name is jhon nash and it contain 8 letters and it is even .and i am fan of your blogging .
    http://gedpracticetestsonlines.com/

• teacher102

Dear Jhon,
      Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving us a comment. You have an interesting name and I like how you spell it. I hope you will visit us again.
      from,
      Mrs. Lynch

• iphone 5

Nice and fun post… Thanks for sharing… I really enjoyed navigating through your site..
    My name contains 4 letters and its even..
    Regards
    iphone 5